Aw: Re: GSoC 2015 - should there be a Debian Med / Blend proposal separate from Debian?

Hi Andreas,

> [...]
> > its ties with upstream and foster developments to help with the
> > interaction of tools and the promotion of such workflows.
> >
> > While I see naturally quite some opportunities in Bioinformatics, I
> > am highly interested to see our other blends address such workflows,
> > too. So this could be a Debian Blend Project. Here some ideas:
> >
> >  * Get Gentle (molecular cloning) dissected into several interoperating
> >    small command line tools and combine it with a workflow environment
> >
> >    The reason for that is that molecular cloning is an iterative process
> >    and Gentle (like all other tools for molecular cloning I looked at,
> >    correct me if I am wrong) are dysfunctional with a representation of
> >    the steps taken to yield a particular amplicon. The workflow is the
> >    recipe to pass to the technical assistant. The workflow engine could
> >    be Taverna as a start, which is offered as a Debian package by upstream
> >    and ... well ... some day my package for it will work, there may be
> >    others.
> >
> >  * Functional Tutorials
> >
> >    We started to look at Youtube to learn about how to use any particular
> >    software. This hurts. Just a bit. I would very much like to see something
> >    in the lines of how Docker or VIM introduces itself as a template for
> >    biological sequence analysis.
> >
> >  * Unit Tests
> >
> >    Andreas has already been much at it. There should be more. And more.
> >    This GSoC could help. I reckon that we could also come up with new ideas
> >    about what such tests could work like, for instance when there is
> >    no perfect answer to a problem, as in the assembly of complete genomes
> >    from short sequences.
> >
> >  * FPGA for application acceleration
> >
> >    It was amazing to see how quickly the BitCoin folks jumped from GPUs
> >    to FPGA to ASICs. There is quite a number of affordable FPGA boards
> >    now available that would be good to have closer to our distribution
> >    to prepare for application acceleration. This fancy Open Source Laptop
> >      https://www.crowdsupply.com/kosagi/novena-open-laptop
> >    even has an FPGA within - albeit quite a small one. I would very
> >    much like to see something happening to help sharing Open Source
> >    hardware descriptions between such devices.

> > There is more. Much more. But how is your feeling about it all? Is it a
> > good idea to have this organised in parallel to what the core of Debian
> > is doing? Are such worthwhile projects in the first place? Are there
> > other GSoC organisations that are likely to care for them?
>
> I agree that there are several interesting points but I for myself
> regard the pure time spent into the mentoring itself as long enough.  I
> do not want to spent it in the additional bureaucratic stuff.  So I will
> not stop anybody with an honest attempt to do it but we probably need to
> be prepared to answer the question why a Debian subgroup wants to
> register as extra organisation.  If I where in charge from the Google

They should ask, indeed. I would not bother you with the admin but
would be unhappy if you would not mentor a project. Concerning the need
of a separation, well, this is deeply buried in my mailbox. I can say
so much that the "Gentle" project was proposed in 2010 IIRC and turned
down by the Debian GSoC admins at the time - even though it had passed
the threshold and found a student.

> Moreover your description of projects above IMHO fits to some extend
> to the general policy Debian has for GSoC.

This would be nice. Must have changed, then. The FPGA one would be a
prime candidate for the regular Debian GSoC, but this is more on FPGA
than on Debian and I had unfortunate experiences with such
non-Debian-centric projects in the past.

> BTW I would have expected something for Outreach Program for Women.  I
> personally have put all my forces to make sure that all our packages are
> migrating to testing (Steffen, you remember that I asked for somebody
> else filing the needed ROM bug for mgltools-sff, right (hint, hint)) and

:) I do not . I'll look at it.

> so I was not really up for finding a proper project description.  Any
> volunteer for this?

The student assigned for the Gentle project back then was female :)
Feel free to reuse that. I like the introductions to various topics the
OPW produced, maybe also the living tutorials is something that could
be addressed - I would just prefer to have myself concentrate on the
content parts of the mentoring for that, though.

If there are no other positive votes to run a DeibanMed-GSoC, then
this kills it, obviously :)

Many greetings

Steffen