GSoC 2015 - should there be a Debian Med / Blend proposal separate from Debian?

Hello,

The projects of Debian for the Google Summer of Code
  http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015
have their focus on the Debian infrastructure. It was quite some earning
experience for me, but eventually I have grasped that this was a good thing.
However, my personal ambition for Debian comes for a good part from the
practical side of it all - it is my Bioinformatics desktop and/or server - and
I want that helped by a GSoC, too.

Now Debian is good (best?) with sharing libraries between otherwise
independent software packages, but we are yet doing little to help
with the inter-operability of those packages. And beyond our Wiki there
is nothing that informs others about how to address our daily routine.
This GSoC could help Debian (as a whole, not just "Med") to strengthen
its ties with upstream and foster developments to help with the
interaction of tools and the promotion of such workflows.

While I see naturally quite some opportunities in Bioinformatics, I
am highly interested to see our other blends address such workflows,
too. So this could be a Debian Blend Project. Here some ideas:

 * Get Gentle (molecular cloning) dissected into several interoperating
   small command line tools and combine it with a workflow environment

   The reason for that is that molecular cloning is an iterative process
   and Gentle (like all other tools for molecular cloning I looked at,
   correct me if I am wrong) are dysfunctional with a representation of
   the steps taken to yield a particular amplicon. The workflow is the
   recipe to pass to the technical assistant. The workflow engine could
   be Taverna as a start, which is offered as a Debian package by upstream
   and ... well ... some day my package for it will work, there may be
   others.

 * Functional Tutorials

   We started to look at Youtube to learn about how to use any particular
   software. This hurts. Just a bit. I would very much like to see something
   in the lines of how Docker or VIM introduces itself as a template for
   biological sequence analysis.

 * Unit Tests

   Andreas has already been much at it. There should be more. And more.
   This GSoC could help. I reckon that we could also come up with new ideas
   about what such tests could work like, for instance when there is
   no perfect answer to a problem, as in the assembly of complete genomes
   from short sequences.

 * FPGA for application acceleration

   It was amazing to see how quickly the BitCoin folks jumped from GPUs
   to FPGA to ASICs. There is quite a number of affordable FPGA boards
   now available that would be good to have closer to our distribution
   to prepare for application acceleration. This fancy Open Source Laptop
     https://www.crowdsupply.com/kosagi/novena-open-laptop
   even has an FPGA within - albeit quite a small one. I would very
   much like to see something happening to help sharing Open Source
   hardware descriptions between such devices.

There is more. Much more. But how is your feeling about it all? Is it a
good idea to have this organised in parallel to what the core of Debian
is doing? Are such worthwhile projects in the first place? Are there
other GSoC organisations that are likely to care for them?

Best,

Steffen