Re: Packing of Fw4spl

Hi Corentin,

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 04:27:13PM +0200, Corentin DESFARGES wrote:
> >> VXL (which is obsolete and contains VGL, V3P, VCL...)
> > Could you please be a bit more verbose?  According to SourceForge
> the version in Debian (1.17.0) is the latest.  Has the project
> moved?  What exactly do you mean by "contains VGL, V3P, VCL..." ?
>
> I wanted to say that VXL is not available yet on Debian Jessie, and
> I'm using this version of Debian to have Boost 1.55.

Ahhh, got it.  The package is currently hanging around in experimental
only which is not helpful.  Mathieu (in CC) was basically responsible
and I noticed that his last entry in d/changelog was.

vxl (1.17.0-9) UNRELEASED; urgency=low

  * Remove self from uploaders

 -- Mathieu Malaterre <malat@debian.org>  Tue, 10 Dec 2013 15:36:12 +0100

Mathieu, could you clarify your motivation?

> By "contains
> VGL, V3P, VLC...", I mean that libvxl1.14 contains some libraries
> needed by fw4spl, and this package isn't available on Jessie.
> I've solved this issue by adding the Wheezy's apt repositories on my
> system and it works, but I'm not sure that's the good way to
> proceed...

Definitely not since we are building against unstable.  I'll have a look
into the package but hope for some clarification by Mathieu in the mean
time.

> >> and Camp (https://github.com/greenjava/camp/).
> > From a very quick view this looks like a straightforward packaging
> project.
>
> As I said to Steffen, I think that we will pack Camp to solve the problem.

Cool.

> > If you would like to invest some time into the packaging work you are
> more than welcome to do this in the Debian Med team.  We have some
> documentation[1] how to work in the team and if you need some general
> packaging skills we have a mentoring project[2].
>
> I'll take a look at these links, thank you!

PLease keep on asking here if something might remain unclear.

> I continue to work on it. I've an other small question : fw4spl is
> based on a association of "Bundles". The actual politic of the IRCAD
> (who develops fw4spl) is that each bundle is an part of software, a
> module, and once built, these bundles contain libraries, icons,
> pictures... I suppose that I know the answer, but, is it possible,
> on a Debian system, to install a package who deploy these bundles
> into /usr/lib/my_pckg ? Else it means that fw4spl need a very big
> revision to be adapted for Debian...

I'm not sure whether I understand your question correctly but I tend to
answer yes.  If I see the packaging (= technical implementation of your
packaging idea) I can say for sure.  In any case lintian is your friend
to teach you about policy questions.  Just run it on your resulting
package. :-)

> Thanks for your attention,

You are welcome