Re: Packing of Fw4spl

Hi Corentin,

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 04:58:27PM +0200, Corentin Desfarges wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> We're trying to pack the free framework called Fw4spl. You can find its
> sources on https://code.google.com/p/fw4spl/.

This looks like a very interesting project.

> Our problem is that Fw4spl uses libraries which aren't available on the
> Debian repositories. These libraries are iconv,

I think this was answered by Steffen.

> VXL (which is obsolete and
> contains VGL, V3P, VLC...)

Could you please be a bit more verbose?  According to SourceForge the
version in Debian (1.17.0) is the latest.  Has the project moved?  What
exactly do you mean by "contains VGL, V3P, VLC..." ?

> and Camp (https://github.com/greenjava/camp/).

>From a very quick view this looks like a straightforward packaging
project.

> Do you have any suggestions to help us solve these issues?

If you would like to invest some time into the packaging work you are
more than welcome to do this in the Debian Med team.  We have some
documentation[1] how to work in the team and if you need some general
packaging skills we have a mentoring project[2].

> About Camp, we thought about integrating it into the framework, because it
> isn't maintained for one year now...

While I personally have no specific insight into imaging libraries in
general nor in this lib specifically a general advise is to stick to the
modular approach.  So keeping Camp alive as it is might be another
option but I can not decide what people who are doing the real work
should do.

> Thanks for your help!

You are welcome to keep on asking if anything might remain unclear or if
you need more specific help.  Getting Fw4spl into Debian looks like a
valuable goal and if you are willing to work together in our team this
seems feasible.

Kind regards and thanks for your interest in Debian Med

      Andreas.

[1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM