Re: ARB 6.0 released

Hi Andreas,

    Andr> Hi Roland, On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 07:42:18PM +0200,
    Andr> rf@q-leap.de wrote:

    Roland> Good attitude! Always looking for synergies. In this case,
    Roland> I'd have to disappoint you though: Our backport packages are
    Roland> built with different conventions than standard Debian
    Roland> backport ones, and we definitely don't have the resources to
    Roland> manage two variants of them. It's already a lot of work to
    Roland> manage two distros (soon
    Roland> 3) in various flavors, so we'll have to capitulate at this
    Roland>    point.

    Andr> OK.  However, I'm curious what "different conventions" these
    Andr> might be just for the sake of interest.

Not very interesting stuff. Mainly the following:
- We use different version numbers (always adding a ql.?+<distro
  codename>), e.g. 1.6.5-ql.1+trusty_amd64.deb
- We add some stuff to rules so that version numbering is done right for
  us
- We add some stuff to copyright to indicate that we've modified
  something
- We have additional qlustar-only build dependencies in control (mostly
  a single qlustar package)
- We don't use git-build-package, but our own scripts to build

    Andr> This looks like a vote: "Yes, please package modules" to me.
    Andr> Would you mind injecting modules into Debian Med Git (perhaps
    Andr> but not necessarily Debian Science Git in case you don't mind
    Andr> joining another team)?

    Roland> Well the vote has to come from somebody else, since Qlustar
    Roland> already has it :)

    Andr> Well, a vote is a vote (in terms if the package is considered
    Andr> useful or not). :-)

Got it :)

Roland

-------
http://www.q-leap.com / http://qlustar.com
          --- HPC / Storage / Cloud Linux Cluster OS ---