Re: ARB 6.0 released

    Roland> please note that Qlustar is providing DebMed backports. So
    Roland> once you'll have moved to wheezy, you could include our repo
    Roland> to get access to a lot of up-to-date DebMed stuff.

    Andr> Its cool that you are doing backports.  However, wouldn't it
    Andr> be reasonable to use backports.debian.org?  I assume there is
    Andr> some considerable overlap in the work done by Qlustar and the
    Andr> official backporters which could be shared.

Good attitude! Always looking for synergies. In this case, I'd have to
disappoint you though: Our backport packages are built with different
conventions than standard Debian backport ones, and we definitely don't
have the resources to manage two variants of them. It's already a lot of
work to manage two distros (soon 3) in various flavors, so we'll have to
capitulate at this point.

    Roland> Most HPC compute centers currently use modules. I don't
    Roland> think that docker is going to change that any time soon (and
    Roland> hopefully never, see my opinion below). modules is available
    Roland> as a package in Qlustar since a long time. Don't see why it
    Roland> should be easier to maintain Docker instances of each
    Roland> version rather than a cleanly compiled package on the
    Roland> platform one is running on and using something like modules.

    Andr> This looks like a vote: "Yes, please package modules" to me.
    Andr> Would you mind injecting modules into Debian Med Git (perhaps
    Andr> but not necessarily Debian Science Git in case you don't mind
    Andr> joining another team)?

Well the vote has to come from somebody else, since Qlustar already has
it :) We'd put it into the DebMed repo. Joining another team is not
feasible for us right now(see above).

    Elmar> It might be a candidate for packaging. Although it's not
    Elmar> really "Debian Med".

    Andr> That's no point here.  We have packaged some other non-Med/Bio
    Andr> stuff as preconditions for our work.  On the other hand I
    Andr> would rather put this into Debian Science field to find more
    Andr> friends.  As long as somebody is doing the work which provides
    Andr> a reasonable solution for several people that's fine.

    Roland> I could add the package on our list of to be maintained
    Roland> packages. We'll probably also package lmod soon which is
    Roland> supposed to be more advanced.

    Andr> Sounds good.  I'm in favour of officially packaging "anything
    Andr> that makes sense to scientists"

Ok. It's on the list :)

All the best,

Roland

-------
http://www.q-leap.com / http://qlustar.com
          --- HPC / Storage / Cloud Linux Cluster OS ---