Re: Staden packaging -- [Was: [NEBC-NBAF #14791] Staden package-gap5]

Hi,

unfortunately it has taken more time than expected but here is the
result of my try to package staden with a wrapper script:

  Vcs-Svn: svn://anonscm.debian.org/debian-med/trunk/packages/staden/trunk/

Unfortunately there are some remaining issues which need to be discussed
also with Staden upstream.

1. Non-free license of tracediff/*
==================================

Probably the main issue to decide is the license of tracediff/* which is
non-free according to Debian Free Software Guidelines since it has the
"without fee" restriction:

 * Copyright (c) Medical Research Council 2001. All rights reserved.
 *
 * Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute this software and its
 * documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that
 * this copyright and notice appears in all copies.
 *
 * This file was written as part of the Staden Package at the MRC Laboratory
 * of Molecular Biology, Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QH, United Kingdom.
 *
 * MRC disclaims all warranties with regard to this software.

I see two possible solutions:

  1. Upstream might drop this restriction
  2. We drop the three files in tracediff/* and in case it might be
     a severe restriction for Staden users we might package it up in
     a separate staden-non-free package

2. Missing helpfiles
====================

The TCL interfaces og gap4, gap5, etc. are featuring a Help menu
which is refering to files /usr/share/doc/staden/manual/*.index.
For example if you want to get help in gap 4 it says:

  couldn't open "/usr/share/doc/staden/manual/gap4.index": no such file or directory

I have not found such files in the source and not found a way to create
such files.  However, I noticed that there are TexInfo files at

  https://sourceforge.net/p/staden/code/HEAD/tree/staden/trunk/doc/manual/

which might possible be turned into the needed files.  Any hint to get
the help system working would be helpful.

3. Patch to simplify wrapper
============================

When the staden modules are used via wrapper it would help to apply
the following patch to the upstream code:

  http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/packages/staden/trunk/debian/patches/enable_setting_stadenroot.patch?view=markup

Staden upstream developers might like to inspect all patches available
here

  http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/packages/staden/trunk/debian/patches/

anyway for future releases.

4. Problem interacting with EMBOSS databases

There seems to be some trouble accessing EMBOSS files:

$ staden create_emboss_files
     no files matched glob pattern "/*.acd"
        while executing
     "glob $acd_dir/*.acd"
        (procedure "process_files" line 3)
        invoked from within
     "process_files $acd_dir $acdtcl_dir"
        (file "/usr/share/staden/tcl/spin_emboss/create_emboss_files.tcl" line 140)

When inspecting the source file spin_emboss/create_emboss_files.tcl I
stumbled upon the line

             set acd [file dirname $dir]/../share/EMBOSS/acd

I somehow suspect that /share/EMBOSS needs to be dropped but I'd like to
let somebody more experienced with Staden and EMBOSS (and tcl) to
investigate this.