Re: Presentation of Debian Med on local Next Generation Sequencing workshop (April)

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 01:12:27PM +0100, "Steffen Möller" wrote:

> Brainstorming here: we'd need a platform to promote community contributions
> to scientific Open Source software. Something tells me, that this could
> be something like "us" (whatever "us" is), but in some less distribution
> centric way. For Bioinformatics, the Open Bioinformatics Foundation comes
> to mind. And, we need some way to reference such contribution. What just
> jumped at me are a concept I learned about at last NETTAB in Venice:
> Nano Publications (http://nanopub.org/). Those were meant for something
> very different, but the concept should be adaptable, and I have not seen
> them discussed in this social-scientific-security context. What do you
> think?

Well, I think we (as in Debian (Med)) kann not deliver a one for all
purposes solution.  I think we should try to do a pretty good job in
creating an as complete as possile environment featuring all relevant
software ensuring that

  a) the software builds flawlessly (on different architectures)
  b) the software test suite passes (and is regularly checked)
  c) the software installs nicely together

I consider this as a great pool not only of software also of knowledge
(how to build, how to test) ironed out in code.  For use case were this
is no sufficient solution in itself it should be a large step into the
direction of a solution of some specific problems.  I really hope that
people who have more advanced needs will consider Debian Med also as a
resource for their needs.