Re: Presentation of Debian Med on local Next Generation Sequencing workshop (April)

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM, Yaroslav Halchenko
<debian@onerussian.com> wrote:
> - QA, such as build time testing:  cannot be stressed enough on its
>   importance for anyone at least whispering about 'reproducibility'.

I would definitely prepare good material talking about
'reproducibility'. More below.

>> Any suggestions on something fancy to display would be helpful.
>
> Fancy... hm... I some times like to amuse "reproducibility-eager" folks
> with commands such as
>
>  debootstrap --arch=i386 --include=python potato /tmp/potato http://archive.debian.org/debian
>
> which in tandem with schroot could be used to bring Debian release from
> decade(s) back with
>
> novo(potato):~
>>gt; python
> Python 1.5.2 (#0, Dec 27 2000, 13:59:38)  [GCC 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)] on linux2
> Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam

This is interesting. Reproducibility is one reason I believe the
Galaxy Project[1] doesn't favor using a stablished package manager and
are trying to build their own[2][3](or maybe an abstract
meta-package-manager). I wonder if they could integrate something like
this to satisfy their reproducibility requirements.

I lost some of my initial excitement about contributing to Debian Med.
If I cannot use the results of my effort in the system where I
actually do my job, there is not much to gain from my time devoted to
Debian Med. Then there are options like linuxbrew(homebrew port to
linux) with a much lower initial barrier for contributions. Way
simpler to write a formula compared to a DEB.

I believe the Debian way is superior to anything out there. With
higher standards and quality assurances. But I cannot see more people
using it if projects like Galaxy or CloudBioLinux don't fully
embraced. It is quite sad they haven't.

[1]http://galaxyproject.org/
[2]http://dev.list.galaxyproject.org/tool-dependencies-xml-format-td4661410.html
[3]http://dev.list.galaxyproject.org/Better-packaging-for-toolshed-binaries-td4661447.html