Re: Presentation of Debian Med on local Next Generation Sequencing workshop (April)

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 08:31:06PM -0400, Carlos Borroto wrote:
> BioLinux, from where CloudBioLinux comes, is a close, but
> my experience is that the collaboration is not as close as you would
> expected.

>From my perspective the collaboration between Debian Med and BioLinux is
as close as the time of both parties permits.  Debian Med has profited
from BioLinux a lot since they are injecting their packaging step by
step into Debian Med VCS and in turn they get the packages in the shape
they need them to be.

> I have also used several institutional HPC clusters, some that are mainly
> used for computational biology and run on Debian or Ubuntu. None relied on
> oficial packages or even APT.

It would be great to learn the reasons why this is the case.

> My point was it seems there is
> a need to highlight the importance of these benefits in a meeting like the
> one mentioned in this thread.

+1

> Also a need for information on how to get
> reproducibility but still use the official packages.

I repeat:  Lets implement more dh_auto_test + autopkgtest to packages
and make sure upstream provides reasonable test suites.