Re: itk and big endian arcitectures

On Sat, 2014-03-08 at 09:53 -0600, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > Can we turn on the other architectures to get an idea of what issues
> > still remain?
>
> You can get an idea of the issues by looking through the older build logs
> already present.

Thanks. I just found those. Yes, it does look there are more issues than
when I last looked [1].

> > I mentioned this in the google hangout a couple days ago when we were
> > talking about python wrapping. Matt McCormick at Kitware mentioned the
> > best way to get issues on their radar is to get build results on their
> > dashboard.
>
> Agreed that getting issues on the ITK radar is useful.
>
> I guess my view is that in addition: each architecture really needs someone to
> care enough to go troubleshoot and fix the issues that come up.  I don't think
> it is reasonable to expect that ITK developers will do this.  They likely
> don't have a machine running the architecture in question (otherwise it would
> already be in the dashboard).  By the same token, I don't expect one or two
> Debian developers to support all the Debian architectures.  I know that it was
> beyond *my* time budget.
>
> Basically we need more hands willing to to troubleshoot specifically ITK in
> Debian for each architecture.  My observation over the years is that each
> release of ITK, each new gcc, each new release of key libraries (e.g. tiff)
> very  often brings new issues.  To keep ITK building everywhere needs a long-
> term time commitment from many people.  Getting nightly builds is only a small
> part of the effort.

Ok, so I can help out. Do you think getting nightly builds up and
running is a good goal? Or are there better places to focus my efforts
on?

> > Is it possible to get debian build servers talking to CDash?
>
> Well, the present policy is "no network" [1] so they can't or shouldn't talk
> directly to CDash.  I'm not clear on the rationale behind that rule, actually.
> For years I've wanted to do this for both ITK and Boost so I'd be in favour of
> starting the conversation in the broader Debian lists on how to enable this.

Yes, it would be great to push results to upstream if they have a
dashboard. But I think that would be longer term solution. Since,
currently, we can't use the build servers, I was wondering if we could
setup nightly builds on the developer servers? I applied to re-activate
my guest account and would like to give this a try. Or would this be an
abuse of the developer servers? Maybe not run these every day, but only
as we are working on a new release to limit the load. Otherwise, we can
cobble together architecture as we can. I can setup kFreeBSD and Hurd
builds here, but not other architectures at the moment.

BTW, Yaroslav's Sparc machine finished the build and posted the results
to itk's dashboard [2]. It builds, but 16 tests fail.

-Paul

[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=insighttoolkit4
[2] http://open.cdash.org/buildSummary.php?buildid=3248063