Re: itk and big endian arcitectures

Hello Paul,

On March 7, 2014 04:49:56 PM Paul Novotny wrote:

> I noticed that itk is only being built on i386 and amd64 at the moment.
> I haven't been keeping up with itk in debian for a bit, but is this due
> to the failures we were seeing on big endian machines last summer?

It was due to build failures on all the other architectures, both big and
little endian.  I didn't have enough manpower to triage and report let alone
diagnose all the failures.

> Can we turn on the other architectures to get an idea of what issues
> still remain?

You can get an idea of the issues by looking through the older build logs
already present.

> I mentioned this in the google hangout a couple days ago when we were
> talking about python wrapping. Matt McCormick at Kitware mentioned the
> best way to get issues on their radar is to get build results on their
> dashboard.

Agreed that getting issues on the ITK radar is useful.

I guess my view is that in addition: each architecture really needs someone to
care enough to go troubleshoot and fix the issues that come up.  I don't think
it is reasonable to expect that ITK developers will do this.  They likely
don't have a machine running the architecture in question (otherwise it would
already be in the dashboard).  By the same token, I don't expect one or two
Debian developers to support all the Debian architectures.  I know that it was
beyond *my* time budget.

Basically we need more hands willing to to troubleshoot specifically ITK in
Debian for each architecture.  My observation over the years is that each
release of ITK, each new gcc, each new release of key libraries (e.g. tiff)
very  often brings new issues.  To keep ITK building everywhere needs a long-
term time commitment from many people.  Getting nightly builds is only a small
part of the effort.

> Is it possible to get debian build servers talking to CDash?

Well, the present policy is "no network" [1] so they can't or shouldn't talk
directly to CDash.  I'm not clear on the rationale behind that rule, actually.
For years I've wanted to do this for both ITK and Boost so I'd be in favour of
starting the conversation in the broader Debian lists on how to enable this.

Cheers,
-Steve

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/buildd