Re: ANTs & Data file license in http://slicer.kitware.com/midas3/

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, Matthew McCormick wrote:
> >> @Yaroslav, the script we use for creating the ITK tarballs [3] may be
> >> a useful reference for creating an ANTS data tarball.

> > Thank you Matthew, we might make use of its parts... but while at it I
> > would like to raise a concern actually about shipping those relatively
> > large data volumes used for testing WITHIN the source tarballs...  Do
> > you expect those to get modified (grow/change) with each ITK release?
> > ATM those data samples occupy big (if not majority) of the
> > compressed tarball IIRC.

> > May be that data could get a life of its own? ;)  i.e. may be we could
> > better package "working set" of test images used by ITK/ANTs (else?) and
> > distribute a dedicated package with only data?  I eventually see it
> > possible that data(set) stabilizes more than code which keeps developing
> > reusing those data files

> > P.S. That is what Michael (of NeuroDebian) has done to other big
> > projects such as AFNI, FSL etc -- we barely ever update the data
> > packages but code packages get updated quite often now without incurring
> > any major penalty of dragging the same data around

> The testing data is included with the source tarballs so that the
> source tarball can be downloaded and the tests can be readily run
> without any extra effort and without a network connection.

> The testing data will vary with releases.  Most of the data are not
> input images but baseline, i.e. ground truth, images used when
> verifying the output of a test.

Fair enough if data is to change with releases and tarballs remain the
ultimate form of "sources" -- thank you Matthew.

Brian -- is that to be the case with ANTs?  then would you be so kind to
provide similar tarball distribution bundled with data?

Cheers!
--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org