Re: ANTs & Data file license in http://slicer.kitware.com/midas3/

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014, Matthew McCormick wrote:

> >From what I can see (find ANTS -name '*.md5'), most if not all of the
> data is located in the slicer.kitware.com/BRAINSTools Midas Community
> [1].

> @Hans, could a license notice be placed in the Info tab?  Something
> like Creative Commons Attribution [2]?

FWIW -- I would advise to use data(set)-appropriate license.  generic
CC licenses were devised for "creative/copyrightable" content.

As for datasets/bases there is CC0 and those like PDDL etc on
http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/

> @Yaroslav, the script we use for creating the ITK tarballs [3] may be
> a useful reference for creating an ANTS data tarball.

Thank you Matthew, we might make use of its parts... but while at it I
would like to raise a concern actually about shipping those relatively
large data volumes used for testing WITHIN the source tarballs...  Do
you expect those to get modified (grow/change) with each ITK release?
ATM those data samples occupy big (if not majority) of the
compressed tarball IIRC.

May be that data could get a life of its own? ;)  i.e. may be we could
better package "working set" of test images used by ITK/ANTs (else?) and
distribute a dedicated package with only data?  I eventually see it
possible that data(set) stabilizes more than code which keeps developing
reusing those data files

P.S. That is what Michael (of NeuroDebian) has done to other big
projects such as AFNI, FSL etc -- we barely ever update the data
packages but code packages get updated quite often now without incurring
any major penalty of dragging the same data around

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org