Re: Updating fis-gtm package to 6.1

On 02/08/2014 07:12 PM (US Eastern Time), Andreas Tille wrote:

[KSB] <...snip...>

       - The hard links are required, so we will add lintian
         exceptions for them.
I admit that I did not really get it why they are "required" (I think
this was not answered by Bhaskar.  I think we should not override this
lintian warning and leave it as a reminder for further discussion.

[KSB] gtmsecshr is a program that is installed setuid root because there are functions it performs on behalf of normal processes (unlike many database engines, GT.M does not use a database daemon).  Details of these functions are in Appendix E (Security Philosophy) of the GT.M Administration and Operations Guide UNIX Edition (for all current GT.M documentation, go to http://fis-gtm.com and click on the User Documentation tab).

Since gtmsecshr is installed as setuid root, it has a number of checks to validate its invocation, including that it is being invoked from the GT.M distribution to which it belongs.  As there would be a vulnerability in the validation if the link were a symbolic link, it must be a hard link.  As the hard link is between the directories pointed to by $gtm_dist and $gtm_dist/utf8, and as the utf8 subdirectory is created as part of the GT.M installation, there is never a case where the utf8 subdirectory is on a different file system, and never a case where the symbolic link is appropriate.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

--
GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.