Re: Updating fis-gtm package to 6.1

On 02/08/2014 07:12 PM (US Eastern Time), Andreas Tille wrote:

[KSB] <...snip...>

    More precisely we are talking about versions:

           fis-gtm-6.0   (currently in Debian)
           fis-gtm-6.1   (recently released upstream)
           fis-gtm-6.2   (to be released upstream by mid 2014)
We should in any case try this packaging wise.

[KSB] <...snip...>

3)   We will configure the meta-package "fis-gtm" to point to
      the most up to date version out of the three listed in (1).

[KSB] I think I just realized that we may not have a problem at all, but want to talk through it.

If fis-gtm points to the latest release of GT.M, anyone installing it will get the latest version in the following scenarios:
  • Anyone installing fis-gtm will get the latest release of GT.M.
  • If a package depends on fis-gtm, anyone installing that package will get the latest GT.M at the time by virtue of the dependency on fis-gtm.
  • When there is a new release of GT.M, anyone who has fis-gtm installed will download and install the latest version of GT.M.
The important thing is to make sure that installing the latest release of GT.M through the latest version of fis-gtm does not remove any older releases of GT.M already on the system.  As long as we can ensure that older releases of GT.M must be manually removed, and will not be automatically removed, there is no problem for GT.M users.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

--
GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.