Re: Updating fis-gtm package to 6.1

On Sat, Feb 08, 2014 at 08:17:52AM -0500, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:

> We do not distinguish between releases and versions in GT.M.  While
> most packages have versions and releases of versions, there is only
> one version of GT.M with a series of releases.  Bugs are only fixed
> in new releases.  Once a release is out, it's frozen for all time.
> So, while most packages are trees, GT.M is a line.

While, yes, terminology needs clarification that's exactly the
point -- it needs clarification *because* its meaning is arbitrary.

In more general terms (regardless of what any project chooses
for themselves) a "version" is a defined state of the code declared
to *be* a version (it could be a tag in a VCS). A release is a
version having been  "packaged and made available" for non-dev
consumption. And that's that.

Minor, major, main, branch, line, bug fix release, maintenance
release, feature release, you name it. All the same.

If I understand this policy correctly, users of GT.M don't have
a chance of installing a bug fix into their system by way
of a "bug fix release" ?  They can "only" either manually
install a fix (by, say, an intra-vista package installation ?)
or by means of upgrading to that version of GT.M and/or
Vista which does contain the fix -- which may mean they'll
get a whole new version with perhaps lots of features
none of which they want/need ?

Assuming the upgrade procedues of GT.M/Vista work extremely
reliable this may even be good for Debian since no one
will ever be clamoring for Debian uploading a bug fix
release for a Debian package that only ever lived in
snapshots.d.o or some such ...

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346