Re: VistA packaging : vista-foia : First review

Hi Luis,

On Sun, Feb 02, 2014 at 10:44:56AM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:
> Maybe the problem is related to the package name.
>
> The .orig.tar.gz file created by git-buildpackage contains the base
> directory:
>
>                                     vista-foia-0.20130405
>
> with the version included.
>
> Is that the standard practice ?

The directory name should not matter at all.  I guess it could even be

     this\ is\ a\ totally\ crazy\ dir\ even\ containing\ unicode\ äöü\ -\ 47.11

and it should work properly (just guessing, never tested).

> > We should be able to provide a reasonable answer to this ... even better
> > if we could somehow recreate the data in the build process (if this is
> > any possible and makes any sense at all).
>
> My bad,
>
> I missed to clarify that these are not binary files.
>
> They actually contain plain text.

Great.

> So, they are still "source"  files.

Cool, that simplifies things later.

> > As I said in my other mail I'm using the configuration file suggested by
> > Debian Med policy (and used by several other teams as well for the
> > reasons I mentioned in my other mail).
> >
> Yes, that sounds reasonable,
> and now that it is clear that the content of the branch
> should a rather small file, there is no reason why we
> couldn't get it right.
>
> I just need to figure out what I'm doing wrong with the
> directory names, or directory locations...  I'm most
> likely missing a very basic detail....
>

> I'll keep looking.

As I said previously you might like to use some better compression
method which should drastically help for text files and would make our
ftpmasters and all mirrors way more happy.  Once you did so it might
make sense to start from scratch following exactly the Debian Med
policy how to create Git repositories.

Good luck