Re: [MoM] snp-sites (Was: I would like to submit a package to debian-med)

Hi Jorge,

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 09:37:59AM +0000, Jorge Sebastião Soares wrote:
> > If there is a real test-suite to run you can do this
> >
> >    a) at package build time
> >

> This is already happening. The package only builds if it passes the tests.
> And they are only relevant from a development perspective. I think...

You are correct.  The *.build file proves this.

> >    b) using autopkgtest (you might like to google how to do this in
> >       case you might fail finding something we have also examples in
> >       Debian Med Vcs
> >

> I will have a look at this anyway.
> Thank you.

I confirm that this is perfectly optional once the test has run at build
time and we can ignore this option for the first upload in any case.

> > In any case it would be a good idea to install this either inside the
> > libsnp-sites1-dev using dh_installexamples - or rather, considering its
> > size which is quiete large compared to the content of libsnp-sites1-dev,
> > into another package with "Architecture: all" and name it
> >
> >    libsnp-sites-examples
> >
> > or so (provided that these tests are basically for development purpose -
> > otherwise I would suggest snp-sites-examples or snp-sites-data whatever
> > fits more to your taste).
> >

> I've had a talk with upstream and we are more inclined to just get this
> package out as soon as we can.

+1

> I have added blurbs to the package description and to the snp-sites manpage
> that point the user in the direciton of the upstream git repository and in
> the manpage I give an actual example of an input file.
> I have committed my changes to the debian repo.

I've commited some extensive rework since to my experience you were mixing
up things that belong into the long description (which should be read by
people who just browse the Debian package pool for interesting stuff) and
people who have actually installed the package and need to get more specific
information.  The later is given in /usr/share/doc/<pkg>/README.Debian.

If you confirm my latest change I will upload as it is now.

> I am thinking that maybe one of the things I could do, up in Stonehaven,
> would be to create the examples package and the test suite package.

+1

> I am also thinking of bringing python code to package up for the Pathogens
> team. Just for a change.

+1

> I now only have one lintian I: which is:
>
>  libsnp-sites1: no-symbols-control-file
> usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnp-sites.so.1.0.0

We should ignore this for the moment.  I have varying experience by
creating such files.  It might bring more harm than good when it needs
changes on other architectures.  I think we will live with this for the
moment.

> Let me know if I need to do something else on the package.

Please `git pull` have a look into the new long descriptions and the
debian/*.README.Debian files.  If you confirm that everything is fine
for you I will upload as is.