Re: [MoM] snp-sites (Was: I would like to submit a package to debian-med)

Hi Jorge,

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 12:45:36PM +0000, Jorge Sebastião Soares wrote:
> I am including a bit of information on what actually is a SNP on the long
> the decription of the snp-sites binary.

Good.

> I was also thinking of adding the usage details like:
>
> Usage: snp_sites [-mvph] [-o output_filename] <file>
> This program finds snp sites from a multi fasta alignment file.
>  -m        output a multi fasta alignment file (default)
>  -v        output a VCF file
>  -p        output a phylip file
>  -o        specify an output filename
>  -h        this help message
>  <file>        input alignment file which can optionally be gzipped
>
> Do you think this should be included in the long decription?

No.  That's definitely not good since it belongs to the manpage
and you will (hopefully) not find long descriptions like this.
The above could be summarised like

 It is featuring different output formats (like multi fasta alignment,
 Vcf, phylip)

Or something like this.

> Also for the run time library package, I have written this spiel:
>
>  Installation of the shared library of the snp-sites is done through this
> package.
>  This library allows python bindings through the Boost python Library.
>
> For the development library package I now have this:
>
>  Both static libraries and header files of the snp-sites program are
>  installed through this package.
>
> What are your thoughts on this?

The descriptions for the lib* packages are a bit better.  Just try to
keep in mind that you are advertising your package to users who might
not have any idea what is doing.  So beeing precise and verbose makes
perfectly sense - otherwise people might ignore the package.