Re: bedtools version 2.18.0

Le Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 05:54:45PM +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> As long as the author of the graphic really stores it in XCF format.
> Since we usually have less chances to really know what upstream has on
> their harddisk I would not spent my time with pure speculation and spend
> time / loose momentum with beeing overly picky about this since I can
> not see in how far this is helpful for anybody.  I do not think that
> DFSG was written in the mind of blocking us.

Greetings from France, and sorry for the long delay for my answer.  I
eventually managed to finish the work that I brought in my luggages for my
Christmas holidays…

What I would be inclined to do with BEDTools (or any package with the same problem):

 - Drop an issue in Upstream's tracker, explaining that it would be even better
   if the PNGs had consistently their source committed in the repository.  I
   will not track or document this issue on the Debian side.

 - Update the package to the new upstream release, with the standpoint that the
   PNG images of the documentation are themselves modifiable or easily replacable,
   and therefore Free enough in that context.  The programs distributed in this
   package, that are the main reason for this package to exist, do work as
   well with or without the SVG source.

 - If one day the Debian's rules become stricter to the point of requiring
   extensive rebuildability of all the files present in the source archive, I
   will probably abandon the package altogether (I am also strongly against the
   point of view that we make a work more Free by merely deleting its
   documentation).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy