Re: I would like to submit a package to debian-med

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 08:35:32PM +0100, Emilien Klein wrote:
> > My name is Jorge Soares and I have taken on the task to package a piece
> > of software written by the Pathogen Informatics team at the Sanger
> > Institute.

It would be really good to have a strong contact to the Sanger
Institute.  We just have package developed there but we would love to
make the coverage even more complete.

> > I am using pduilber to automate as much as possible the package creation.
> >
> > I have what I assume to be a source debian package with me:
> >
> > snp-sites_0.1-1.debian.tar.gz
> > snp-sites_0.1-1.dsc
> > snp-sites_0.1.orig.tar.gz

I guess you are talking about

   https://github.com/sanger-pathogens/snp_sites

right?  If my suspicion is true the first helpful thing would be to add
tags to this repository which would enable us to create a proper watch
file observing new upstream versions of this software.

> > This source bpackage has been built against jessie (testing)
> > I  the three fake environments set up (unstable,testing, stable) in my
> > debian machine.
> > I also have a precise environment set up.

That's a good precondition to start with.  I'm not sure what you mean by
"fake environments" - probably you are using pbuilder for creating the
packages?

> > I am unsure what to do next in order to get this package into debian.

You probably did the most straightforward step to approach this by
sending an e-mail to this list. :-)

> > I also would like for this package to be part of the med-debian
> > metapackage.

That's very easy:  Once the package is inside Debian we just a one liner
to the metapackage information and all things will be done automatically
(including adding it to our tasks page[2]).  It can be even before it is
uploaded to Debian added to the tasks page[2] if it is just in our Vcs.
I assume you prefer using Git (since the software itself is in Git).
We will happily help you to do this.

> > Can you shed some light on all this?
>

> Thanks for getting in touch. In my reply, I'm assuming you are not a Debian
> Developer or Debian Maintainer yet.
>
> As explained on [0], your next step would be to join the Debian Med team on
> Alioth and then to request access the source code repository.

I realised that [0] was lacking an explicite link to our team policy[3]
and thus I just added this link to the according paragraph since it is
written with the attempt to guide newcomers straight into the workflow
we are using.  Another method is my Mentoring of the Month[4] where I
offer direct help to newcomers and try to answer any question they might
have.

> One you've uploaded your source package, we can have a look at it and
> provide feedback/suggestions.
> At some point, assuming that everything is in a good enough shape, one of
> the Debian Developers on the team will be able to upload your package to
> Unstable, which will then find it's way into the Testing/Stable repos of
> Debian, and Ubuntu (as you mention precise).
>
> Please also do subscribe to the Debian Med mailing list [1].
>
> Let us know if you need help joining the team, or when the package is ready
> for review.
>    +Emilien

Yes, Emilian has given a nice summary of all the steps.

We would be happy to welcome you in the team

      Andreas.

[2] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/bio
[3] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html
[4] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM