Re: Advent calendar

Hi Thorsten,

many thanks for this cute effort.  It's very welcome.

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:01:14PM +0100, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> This year, there are about 190 cases which are relevant to Debian
> Med[1] (17 being serious[2]).
> So please feel pity for them and allow the transition of as many as
> possible poor souls to their final destination, the retirement
> community in the Archive.

The oldest bugs amongst these serious ones are affecting the ugene
package.  They had lower priority in the past since ugene is in
experimental only but there is no reason to leave it like this.  The
reported problems are fixed in SVN by new upstream versions since a long
time but I was never happy enough about the packaging of this to do the
final upload.  Currently the largest stumbling stone which prevents me from
uploading the currently available packaging is, that in /usr/lib/ugene
several libraries end up as unversioned lib*.so files.  In some previous
build cycles I did lintian was even warning about this but this warning
somehow magically vanished.

I also invented a patch to use the Debian packaged sqlite which
definitely needs testing.  The package builds with this patch but I have
no idea how to test the functionality.  It also should be propagated
upstream.

Hardening is another open problem as well as some more lintian warnings.
In addition to the chance to show up in the advent calendar I'm offering
a free (as in beer) beer for the brave packager who might finish ugene
which IMHO should end up with an upload to unstable instead of
experimental.

> Furthermore I would like to mention another page[3] with lots of information
> about Debian Med packages. Besides the list of RC bugs you can also
> see packages that can not be built on a Debian architecture,
> packages that are not allowed to migrate from unstable to testing
> (and thus won't be included in the next release) and packages with a
> new upstream version. I think those packages need some care as well.

+1

> As soon as I get the notice of a closed case I will record that in
> our Advent calendar[4]. In contrast to normal calendars, let us fill
> this special one with lots of good deeds. Maybe we can hide at least
> one number of a closed case behind every door.

That would be very cool.

> PS. The fun starts not until December 1st :-).

Which does not mean that updating some packages or fixing some bug would
not be fun even before. ;-)