Re: DCM4CHE -- could someone update on the status?

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 03:30:00PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> > > - there are few subprojects listed in
> > >   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/imaging
> > >   with some packaging specified as available
>
> > svn://svn.debian.org/debian-med/trunk/packages/dcm4che/dcm4che-core/trunk/
>
> cool -- thanks!

I would not insist onto this modular approach which leaded me to start
with dcm4che-core - it might be that putting everything into one might
be more promising.  Just to let you know that I'm not really proud on
what I commited there.

> > > - not a single ITP filed
>
> > I for myself established the workflow to issue an ITP only of I really
> > *know* that I will be able to finish the packaging.
>
> well -- I usually do the opposite so to avoid unlikely but possible
> duplication of effort and simplifying search for thinking-alike ;)
> But oh well -- that is just my "approach" ;)

Well, I have seen to many unresolved ITPs - I do not want to add more of
them.  Since our leaf packages are very unlikely to attract more than
one packager who do not know from each other this workflow seems to be
appropriate.

> > I guess this is really the last news.  I never made it through the maven
> > jungle.
>
> yeah -- scares me as well... but I have heard that maven builds support
> improves slowly but steadily -- so might be better now

This would be great.

> > The first stumbling stone when I started with dcm4che-core was a lacking
> > jai-imageio.  This is solved in non-free (and chances that this will
> > become free are close to zero if I have understood the issue correctly).
> > So dcm4che will propagate to contrib at best.  If I remember right than
> > several other preconditions will be needed.
>
> and that is only because of JPEG2000 or generic dependency? (I meant may
> be there could be a cut-down 'main' build)?

As far as I know its the license of jai-imageio itself and it is
upstream dead - so hard to contact the authors.