Re: DCM4CHE -- could someone update on the status?

Hi Yaroslav,

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 02:14:19PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> > DCM4CHE !!!!!
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I wonder what is the current status of this endeavor?

Not that much currently available. :-(

> I was not tracking progress on this project, so from my current quick
> analysis I only see that
>
> - there are few subprojects listed in
>   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/imaging
>   with some packaging specified as available

svn://svn.debian.org/debian-med/trunk/packages/dcm4che/dcm4che-core/trunk/

> - not a single ITP filed

I for myself established the workflow to issue an ITP only of I really
*know* that I will be able to finish the packaging.  Unfortunately I'm
not really sure whether this is the case.

> - last activity on the debian-med list was in 2012
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2012/03/msg00227.html

I guess this is really the last news.  I never made it through the maven
jungle.

> - upstream provides non-official binary packages (last activity in Feb
>   2013)
>   http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdmedicpacsweb/files/

I have not checked but I strongly suspect they are just throwing a bunch
of jar files into the file system.  I'd be really happy if my suspicion
would be wrong.

> so if someone could summarize on the current status and possibly hurdles
> that would be great.

The first stumbling stone when I started with dcm4che-core was a lacking
jai-imageio.  This is solved in non-free (and chances that this will
become free are close to zero if I have understood the issue correctly).
So dcm4che will propagate to contrib at best.  If I remember right than
several other preconditions will be needed.

Any help on this dcm4che would be heavily appreciated.