question about R YAML package

Hi,

The R YAML package includes a copy of the libyaml C package (C files), which appears to be similar if not identical to libyaml-0-2. It compiles the R-specific portions of the package against these files.

I think it is probably possible to strip out the C files and compile against Debian's libyaml-0-2, if upstream is willing to help. I did make an initial attempt which failed. However, is this worth doing? Would the ftp masters object to the current setup? The C files in question are quite small. Thoughts?

                                                           Regards, Faheem