Re: getting some R packages into Debian

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013, Andreas Tille wrote:

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 01:51:57AM +0530, Faheem Mitha wrote:

Question 1: tikzDevice was removed from CRAN for technical reasons,
and the package development appears to have stalled, but it is still
a very useful (indeed, indispensible for its purpose) package. Will
this be a problem re Debian packaging?

There are some packages inside the archive which do not have any
upstream downloadable source any more.  I'm maintaining a package which
is currently only available in the web archive.  So the answer is:  No
that's no real problem but you might have a stronger responsibility for
the package than if you could rely on upstream to some extend.

Ok.

Question 2: http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#repositories only talks about Subversion and Git. Given that choice, I'd definitely go with Git, but is Mercurial out as an option?

No.  We considering two options as sufficient for everybody.  Otherwise
the main supporters might be forced to learn more and more tools which
is not acceptable in the end.

I think you meant to say "yes" to the question "is Mercurial out as an option?", right? :-)

Looks like I'll actually have to learn Git. Crap.

                                                       Regards. Faheem