Re: question about R YAML package

Hi Faheem,

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 11:15:10AM +0530, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> The R YAML package includes a copy of the libyaml C package (C
> files), which appears to be similar if not identical to libyaml-0-2.
> It compiles the R-specific portions of the package against these
> files.
>
> I think it is probably possible to strip out the C files and compile
> against Debian's libyaml-0-2, if upstream is willing to help. I did
> make an initial attempt which failed. However, is this worth doing?
> Would the ftp masters object to the current setup? The C files in
> question are quite small. Thoughts?

In any case you should try hard to link against the Debian packaged
libraries.  The optimal way would be to convince upstream to stop
serving copies of a separate library.  The second best way would be to
tweak the build system of the sources in a patch to link against
libyaml-0-2.  Please keep us updated if you might face technical
problems.  The mailing list debian-mentors@lists.debian.org also
provides excellent help in cases like this.