Re: Clinica packaging

Hi Leonardo,

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 02:39:23PM +0200, Leonardo Robol wrote:
> Dear all,
> after a kind notification from Andreas about clinica package failing to
> build I've decided to complete some pending tasks and I've released
> Clinica 0.3.0 and updated the packaging accordingly.

Thanks for your work on this.

> I've pushed the changes to the Debian Med repository and the package
> builds correctly using pbuilder on my machine.

I assume that this new upstream release closes both bugs listed here

   http://bugs.debian.org/src:clinica

Is this correct?  If yes, please add according Closes statements to the
changelog entry (Closes: #707361, #709719).

> It would be nice if someone could give a look and briefly review my
> work. I have one concern about dependencies, in particular: the new
> clinica ships gir1.2-clinica-0.3, while the older shipped
> gir1.2-clinica-0.2. The two packages don't conflict, but I think that
> this will leave gir1.2-clinica-0.2 installed after an upgrade. This is
> not a real issue (nothing should break) and I think that apt-get
> autoremove should clean up this. But still, I'm not very practical about
> Debian packages and so I'll definitely appreciate any hint on this :)

For this kind of version transitions exists the control fields

   Breaks:
   Conflicts:
   Provides:
   Replaces:

According to your description neither Breaks or Conflicts seem to fit
here.  Provides is used if you are introducing a virtual package which
in this case IMHO does not make sense because as far as I can see only
clinica itself profits from this package and no other package inside
the Debian package pool.  So finally you could add

   Replaces: gir1.2-clinica-0.2

Finally if you really want to make sure that gir1.2-clinica-0.2 will be
removed from users harddisk you are free to add

   Conflicts: gir1.2-clinica-0.2

as well - finally it is your own decision as developer.  On the other
hand modern install tools will detect if a package was just installed as
a dependency of another package and will remove / suggest to remove
gir1.2-clinica-0.2 anyway.

Just tell me what you think and I could upload the package.  I can
confirm that it builds at my side.

Kind regards and thanks for your preparation