Re: [fis-gtm] ready for upload - needs sponsor

All, Thanks for the well wishes!

Hi Andreas,

On 03/08/2013 07:35 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi Amul,

I'd like to come back to your mail after having the chance for a deeper
inspection besides firing up lintian.  The good news from my perspective
is that the remaining issues are rather Debian and its users centric
rather than problems with build systems.

The first thing is that former packaging of 5.x series contained a
metapackage fis-gtm containing a link "current".  This was a pretty good
idea IMHO.

Moreover I noticed that binaries do exist in
      /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V<version>_<arch>
I have different remarks about this:

   1. I somehow have the impression you would reinvent multiarch to some
      extend because I do not see any reason for appending the
      architecture to this directory because we just have a way to
      separate different architectures.  IMHO it would be more apropriate
      to move the *binary* files into

          /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/fis-gtm/V<version>

      (as an example for amd64)
      I admit I'm neither a multiarch expert nor do I have the slightest
      idea about GT/M and thus I'm not sure whether this suggestions
      makes sense in the end but I wanted to have this discussed before
      we upload.

   2. As I said I'm totally uneducated about GT/M and if I install a
      "random" new package I usually check what executables are installed
      by the package in /usr/bin, verify its manpage in /usr/share/man
      and if I can not find such thing I do look in
      /usr/share/doc/fis-gtm/README.Debian for some information how to
      start with the package and what to do next.
      Unfortunately the package does not contain any of these entry
      points for newcomers.  By some trial-and-error approach I learned
      that the script
         . /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.0-001_x86_64/gtm
      can be called (even if its permissions are not properly set to
      executable).  IMHO this needs some enhancement to make it more
      simple ro "run" gtm.

   3. When running
         . /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.0-001_x86_64/gtm
      I did not got any "help" (I typed the usual ways to get info
      like 'help', '?' etc but failed.)  IMHO some very basic doc
      needs to be dropped into /usr/share/doc/fis-gtm/.  You should
      make sure that beginners can get some small hint how to start
      smoothly (I consider fis-gtm as more than just a precondition
      to run VistA where you possibly can expect that users will not
      touch GT/M and developers know what to do anyway.

Hope these hints help polishing the package a bit and feel free to
prove me wrong if I'm missing something.

Kind regards and thanks for working on fis-gtm

1. Good point. That should be a simple modification that I can drive from the Debian side. As you said:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/fis-gtm/V<version>

2. Good point. IIRC Bhaskar did write something to get beginners started. I will include it.

The permissions on my installation for /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.0-001_x86_64/gtm are correct. What are the permissions that you see?
shaha@shaha:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.0-001_x86_64/gtm
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1526 Feb  7 11:41 /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.0-001_x86_64/gtm

3. In MUMPS its ZHELP. :) I don't think we can help with MUMPS per se, but we will give enough for point 2 above to get someone started.

I thank you for the intention of making GT.M something more than just a hidden precursor for VistA. We are accustomed to applications running on GT.M to obscure us.

thanks,
Amul