Re: [MoM] Debian Med MoM for February

Hi Sukhbir,

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 07:08:49PM -0500, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
> Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Now starts the non-technical part of the Debian packaging:  Please try
> > to contact upstream, tell them kindly about your intend to build a
> > Debian package from their work and teach them about the reason to apply
> > some proper versioning of the download file.  For instance they could
> > name the download file
>
> I got in touch with the upstream author and explained the "situation".
> He has not replied yet, but it's too early to expect one anyways.

Yes, upstream response time is somewhere between hours and infinity.

> So I was just wondering, in case the upstream author doesn't reply and
> the proper versioning is not there on the download, how do we proceed
> then?

I usually choose as version

   0.0.yyyymmdd

(where yyyymmdd is the date of the downloaded file.)  This is safe in
case upstream might choose some versioning scheme later to get
increasing versions in most cases.  In the case of hunspell-en-med I
would probably choose something like

   0.0.20080513

(because this is the change date of the youngest file
README_en_MED.txt.)  BTW, the response time of upstream is frequently
related to the time difference between today and their last release -
so I would not expect any soonish answer and we should try to proceed
even without any response.

Hope this helps