Re: [MoM] Debian Med MoM for February

Hi Sukhbir,

thanks for working on this package.

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 06:27:23PM -0500, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just started packaging hunspell-en-med and the repository for the
> packaging is at:
>
>     http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-med/hunspell-en-med.git;a=summary

Looks OK so far.

> When trying to build the package, I get this error:
>
>     dpkg-source: info: local changes detected, the modified files are:
>      hunspell-en-med/README_en_MED.txt
>      hunspell-en-med/en_MED.dic
>     dpkg-source: info: you can integrate the local changes with dpkg-source --commit

Hmmm, the upstream files in the master branch are different from the
pristine-tar files - for whatever reason.  To fix this very issue I
commited the files from upstream source right into master and now
git-buildpackage works nicely.  I have no idea why this happened but
now the package works.

> As a workaround, I created a `debian/install' and a `doc' file,

You surely might need d/install and d/doc files - but this is totally
unrelated to your problem above.

> moved
> the above two files (.dic and .txt) to `debian/', updated the paths, and
> the problem is solved.

Hmm, can not see that this was done in the Git repository (and it is not
needed anyway.)

> However, I think this is an incorrect way to do
> it, since the files should be in the root directory and not in `debian'.
>
> What am I doing wrong here? What is the right way to copy (install)
> these files?

In any case you need to make sure that everything in master is identical
to the upstream source (except the additional debian/ dir.)  This is
what dpkg-source is checking and it breaks if not fullfilled.

The builded *.deb has some lintian warnings I did not dived into - feel
free to ask if something remains unclear.