Re: [MoM] Packaging fis-get

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:34:23AM -0500, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:
> [KSB]  Since multiple GT.M versions/releases (for GT.M, they're the
> same) will routinely concurrently exist on systems, I would like to
> suggest a meta package fis-gtm, that owns and maintains
> /usr/bin/{gtm,mumps,...} as symlinks to the corresponding
> executables in the latest GT.M version.
>
> Alternatively, perhaps we can manage it under /etc/alternatives.

Alternatives is the best way to go here IMHO.  However, I'd suggest to
work on this past our initial package.  At the time of creating the
initial package using the autogenerated files there are definitely not
more than one existing GT.M versions and I would strongly advise not to
add an extra layer of complexity just for the sake of an academical
exercise.  Please understand:  This is no veto against alternatives
but just an issue to keep things simple in the first place and adding
complexity later.