Re: [MoM] Packaging fis-get

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 05:39:10PM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:
> > interest:  Do you have any specific reason to force 32bit?  I think
> > amd64 would work as well.  Pbuilder usually creates the architecture
> > you are running at.
>
> Not particular reason...
>
> I was circling around the suspicion that this was
> a problem related to a 32/64 bits mismatch, and
> since the missing file is a 32 bits one, I guessed
> that maybe I had to create a 32bit pbuilder
> environment.  It turned out that I get the same
> error in both environments (32 and 64).

Ahh, now I see a connection and your motivation to enforce a certain
architecture.  Knowing the background I think your idea was good (even
if not helpful in the end).

> >> * linux-libc-dev
> >> * gcc-multilib
> >>
> >> So I added both to the Build-Depends: field
> >> in the control file, but to not effect...
> >
> > IMHO, both is not really needed.  I somehow fear some multiarch issue
> > and I admit I'm not very knowledged in this.
> >

> You are most likely right.
>
> Adding these packages didn't make a difference.
> It looks like the posix_types_32.h file is indeed
> installed in the pbuilder environment, but that its
> path is not in the list of the ones used by the
> makefiles of fis-gtm.

Yes.  As I said, I'm no expert in this multiarch move.  I just realised
that some packages where brocken and needed fixing because of this
change inside Debian and may be that fis-gtm is affected by the same
problem.

> sudo pbuilder --execute /usr/share/doc/pbuilder/examples/C10shell

Remark: It is interesting what ways this MoM effort takes.  Executing
commands like this would probably not be part of a packaging
introduction session. :-)

> I can check the following:
>
> With the command:
>
>      sudo  pbuilder --login --basetgz  /var/cache/pbuilder/base.tgz
>
> root@debian-med:/# ls ./usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/asm/posix* -l
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   92 Feb  6 01:32
> ./usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/asm/posix_types.h
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1316 Feb  6 01:32
> ./usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/asm/posix_types_32.h
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1306 Feb  6 01:32
> ./usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/asm/posix_types_64.h
> root@debian-med:/# uname -a
> Linux debian-med 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Mon Jan 16 16:04:25 UTC 2012 i686 GNU/Linux
>

> When doing this in the 32bits one, with :
>
>     linux32 pbuilder build --basetgz /var/cache/pbuilder/base-i386.tgz
>
>  ls ./usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/asm/posix* -l
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   92 Feb  6 01:32
> ./usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/asm/posix_types.h
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1316 Feb  6 01:32
> ./usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/asm/posix_types_32.h
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1306 Feb  6 01:32
> ./usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/asm/posix_types_64.h
> root@debian-med:/# uname -a
> Linux debian-med 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Mon Jan 16 16:04:25 UTC 2012 i686 GNU/Linux

So the Build-Depends are finally not needed (as I was to lazy to check
yesterday evening).  Thanks for verifying this and congrats to dive into
the world of advanced packaging issues.

> > to gove technical advise.  If I'm confronted with problems like these I
> > usually consult the mailing list debian-mentors@lists.debian.org.  Just
> > Give a link to the packaging stuff in SVN, mention explicitely to get the
> > tarball via
> >
> >    uscan --verbose --force-depends
> >
> > and post the error message you are getting.  I'm also reading the list
> > and will try to clarify if needed.
>
> Good idea,
> I just wrote to debian-mentors.

Good.  As I said MoM also will do some training in learning
communication channels.  I'll watch there.

> In the meantime,
> I'm trying to make some progress
> on the installation step...
>
> There, I think that main question will be:
>
>    Where should all these executables and files go ?
>

> In the default installation of GTM, the full
> collection of files go to:
>
>      /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V5.4-002B_x86_64
>
> and they do not get to be included in the path.
>
> Users are instructed to create aliases to these
> executables in their .bashrc files.
>

> It would seem however, that in a Debian installation
> at least the "gtm" file:
>
>       /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V5.4-002B_x86_64/gtm
>
> should be symlinked to /usr/bin,

Yes.  Either via symlink or perhaps more probably by a wrapper script
considering the fact that some environment variables might need to be
set.

> or /usr/local/bin,

Ohhhhhhhh, nooooo. :-)
Per policy /usr/local is not part of the distribution.  You can very
easily trigger lintian errors which to my knowledge will lead to an
automatic reject when trying to upload this.

> to be found as part of the normal path.
>

> Any suggestions ?

I would go with a wrapper script like

   debian/bin/gtm   (or similar name, like fis-gtm or even mumps)

which you can install by using a dh_install input file like this:

   debian/install

containing the line

   debian/bin/*   usr/bin

this will install your script(s) in usr/bin.  I think providing such a
script is a very good idea.  Asking users to adjust their .*rc files is
definitely not the Debian way to go.  Users can do that anyway but after
a package is installed you should have a working environment without
fiddling around with user environment.

BTW, lintian will ask you for a man page for everything which resides in
/usr/bin.  It would be a good idea to provide at least some basic one
and there you can for instance mention adaptions of user configuration
if this would be recommended.