Re: [MoM]: r9659 - trunk/packages/fis-gtm/fis-gtm/trunk/debian

On 02/13/2012 10:06 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi Luis,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 09:38:51AM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:
This was my first lame attempt at
making progress on the installation front     :-)
:-)

Here was my reasoning:

fis-gtm makefile provide a target called "package"
that takes the outcome of the build, and package it
into the tar file:

         gtm_V54002B_linux_i586_pro.tar.gz

It contains a collection of executables, *.m files,
*.o files, and several scripts.

This is the same tar file that ones downloads
from sourceforge when manually installing
fis-gtm (as far as I understand...).

e.g. here are the instructions we use in that case:
http://osehra.org/wiki/installing-gtm

So, my plan was:

1) Take advantage of the "package" target in the
      gtm Makefile, to select the binary files of interest
      to be included in an installation.

2)  Take the resulting tar.gz file, expand it in a tmp
       directory,  (debian/tmp).

3)   Finally, cherry-pick the files from that tmp
       directory and put them in their final destination
Thanks for the explanation which helps understanding your approach which
is unusual but for the moment but I can not see any problem in it
(besides the esthetical fact that it contains some useless tar - untar
process which could be avoided somehow).

Two alternative plans are;

A) To directly use the "./configure" file in the
      binary directory, which actually pick some
      defaults and move files to their final location.
      http://osehra.org/wiki/installing-gtm

or

B)  Work from the "gtminstall" script that Bhaskar
       pointed out.  In this case, we have to skip several
       portions of the script, because it really starts with
       downloading the tar files from sourceforge.

This is clearly another chapter
in which I have a lot to learn...      :-)

[KSB] gtminstall as a stand-alone script will download and install the latest GT.M release from Source Forge. But when executed as part of a GT.M distribution, it installs the distribution it is bundled with.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

I'm to less involved into this to decide which plan works out best.
For the moment I'd go the most simple way which leads to a working
package and I trust you to find this way.

GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.