Re: [MoM] Packaging fis-get

On 01/30/2012 10:25 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 09:46:17AM -0500, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:

- GT.M is written in Mumps and thusly needs to be compiled
   by a Mumps compiler

- this presents a chicken-egg problem in that Debian does
   not allow packages to be included without compiling them
   from source
[KSB2] GT.M is almost entirely written in C with a few small bits in
assembler.
That makes it a lot easier.

Some utility programs are written in MUMPS.
Are those needed to build GT.M ?

[KSB3] No

When building GT.M, some C source programs are generated from text files
using a MUMPS program -
Are those files *required* to build GT.M ?

[KSB3] Yes

this is where GT.M is used to build GT.M, and
it is a text to text transformation.
How much data are we talking about ?

[KSB3] I will find out.

However, I don't really understand the problem with bootstrapping.
It only needs to be done once and that bootstrap has already been
accomplished.
No it hasn't (as far as Debian is concerned) or else there
would be an installable Debian package for bootstrapping
GT.M.

I might be wrong. If so, please point me to the DFSG
compatible package I can install to either bootstrap a GT.M
or a DFSG-compliantly valid GT.M package.

The "problem" with bootstrapping is that Debian does not
allow to use "foreign" binaries (that is, binaries not
buildable on Debian) in order to build packages.

[KSB3] So Debian doesn't use gcc?

Regards
-- Bhaskar

In my opinion, if you really want to eliminate the bootstrap,
We/I don't want to eliminate it. We want to get it done
because we have to if we want to have GT.M on Debian.

the obvious solution is to use awk or perl for the small
number of files involved.
For example. That is one of the options I am trying to
assess how complicated it would be.

Or, for the initial bootstrap, just take the generated C
files from an existing GT.M for the bootstrap.
Since those *are* source code I wonder whether that might be
compliant with DFSG.

Anyone ?

BTW: In case all this has already been solved in an
existing, compliant Debian (pre-)package we would surely
like to know about it !

Karsten

--
GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.