Re: new member introduction

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 04:56:11PM +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:
> On 12/09/2011 02:02 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 11:55:41AM +0000, Nick James wrote:
> >> I'm happy to look into other things that you are not sure if they
> >> are needed.
> A major reason for Ensembl to remain in the (not so fancy)
> "experimental" section is for its dependency on bioperl 1.2.3,
> which itself is in experimental. Since so many have lost some
> tooth over this already, while I am confident that this will
> eventually be resolved, it will take a while. So the Ensembl
> package will remain in "experimental" that long at least.

That's a fair reason to use experimental.  Perhaps somebody with access
to Ensembl bugtracker might open another ticket (in comparison ton
libwww-perl.

> One of those "other things" coming to mind is the Jalview
> .jar file shipping with the Ensembl sources. My understanding is
> that this was an old version of Jalview, after all it did not need
> any dependencies. Andreas has now, to comply with the GPL
> with no extra effort, substitutede it with the very recent Jalview
> that now (thanks to Vincent and Jim) ships with Debian. This
> was not so much on my agenda, but maybe you could check
> if this new version of Jalview does not have an API change
> effecting Ensembl too much?

Because this is definitely helpful it might make sense if I upload
a preliminary package to my people.debian.org area to enable easy
download of the packages for testing.  I'll do so next week.