Re: Fwd: Re: fis-gtm

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 04:23:48PM -0400, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:
> [KSB] GT.M does not need a default user or group.  Some user & group need
> to own the installation files, but that can be root & root (historically
> bin & bin).  It is certainly possible to configure a GT.M installation so
> that it is usable only by members of a specific group, but that would be
> under special circumstances (perhaps an additional layer of defense in an
> explicitly locked down production server with real financial data or
> health records).  For normal usage, GT.M does not need a special user or
> group.

I have no strong feelings about this.  However, it has turned out that
such specific user is in some circumstances is a good way.  As Thorsten
has agreed to asking for the name of this user should not be a default
installation option but rather a lower priority debconf question.

> > ./configure: 109: ./geteuid: not found
> >
> [KSB] geteuid is an executable that is built as part of GT.M.  If you
> were trying to install a 32-bit GT.M on a 64-bit Linux, did you have the
> 32-bit libraries installed?  What does "file geteuid" say?

This issue is obviosely an issue of having an i386 executable on an amd64
system and will be sorted out.

> [KSB] If you compiled GT.M using the instructions in the README in the
> source tarball, it will build either a 32- or 64-bit executable,
> depending on the host.

Yes, we need to adapt the build system regarding to this as Thorsten
confirmed.

> There is an environment variable that can be used
> to build a 32-bit executable on a 64-bit host (but not the other way around).

I'm not sure if this finally helps.  IMHO having i386 build on i386 and
amd64 build on amd64 is perfectly fine.  Thanks for the hint anyway.

> [KSB] Our upstream distribution builds both 32- and 64-bit (x86)
> executables from the same source tarball.

This simplifier things in any case.