Subject: Re: fis-gtm
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 15:52:49 -0400
From: Bhaskar, K.S <ks.bhaskar@fisglobal.com>
To: debian-med@lists.debian.org

On 07/21/2011 09:52 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:

Hi Thorsten,

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 07:52:50PM +0200, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> it should be possible to build three packages for fis-gtm now. One is
> just a meta-package, one is a package with the initial (precompiled)
> software and one is a package that allows the binaries to be built  from
> source.
> If anybody wants to have a look, I would be happy to get some feedback.

thanks for working on this.  I made some very minor nitpicking changes
in SVN.  For the packaging itself I wonder if there is really a need for
asking for a user and group name for the fisgtm user.  I'd say this is
not common (apache uses www-data, postgresql is using postgres both
without asking the user for a name.  If you really think that this makes
sense I would make the question lower priority so that normal users
will simply go with the default name.

[KSB] GT.M does not need a default user or group.  Some user & group need to own the installation files, but that can be root & root (historically bin & bin).  It is certainly possible to configure a GT.M installation so that it is usable only by members of a specific group, but that would be under special circumstances (perhaps an additional layer of defense in an explicitly locked down production server with real financial data or health records).  For normal usage, GT.M does not need a special user or group.

Then I tried to build the fis-gtm-initial-i386 package on an amd64
system (I was sitting in the train to DebCOnf and was offline) and
perhaps this is the problem - but the install failed (sorry for
German locale but Thorsten will cope with it)

$ sudo dpkg -i fis-gtm-initial-i386_54002A-1_amd64.deb
Vormals abgewähltes Paket fis-gtm-initial-i386 wird gewählt.
(Lese Datenbank ... 300570 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Entpacken von fis-gtm-initial-i386 (aus fis-gtm-initial-i386_54002A-1_amd64.deb) ...
fis-gtm-initial-i386 (54002A-1) wird eingerichtet ...

Creating config file /etc/default/fis-gtm-initial with new version
Warnung: Auf das von Ihnen angegebene Home-Verzeichnis /usr/share/fis-gtm kann nicht zugegriffen werden: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Lege Systembenutzer »fisgtm« (UID 110) an ...
Erstelle Home-Verzeichnis »/usr/share/fis-gtm« nicht.

automatic configuration, please be patient ...
./configure: 109: ./geteuid: not found

[KSB] geteuid is an executable that is built as part of GT.M.  If you were trying to install a 32-bit GT.M on a 64-bit Linux, did you have the 32-bit libraries installed?  What does "file geteuid" say?

You must run Configure as root.

[KSB] This error is from the installation script's inability to run geteuid.

... automatic configuration finished
rmdir: konnte „TMPPOSTINST“ nicht entfernen: Das Verzeichnis ist nicht leer
dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von fis-gtm-initial-i386 (--install):
 Unterprozess installiertes post-installation-Skript gab den Fehlerwert 1 zurück
Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
 fis-gtm-initial-i386

Besides this install failure I see the following issues where I'm
admittedly to unexperienced with to give some reasonable advise:

 - Because of building on an amd64 machine the package ends up with
   "_amd64.deb" extension.  While I think building on amd64 should
   not necessarily be forbidden (it's just moving files into a deb)
   the result should be "_i386.deb"

[KSB] If you compiled GT.M using the instructions in the README in the source tarball, it will build either a 32- or 64-bit executable, depending on the host.  There is an environment variable that can be used to build a 32-bit executable on a 64-bit host (but not the other way around).

   This would probably prevent dpkg from trying to install it on
   amd64 machines.
 - I also consider the "Architecture: any" in debian/control as not
   appropriate.  If I'm not missleaded it should rather be i386.
   However, if I do this on my amd64 machine the package does not
   build (which makes sense for sure)

I have no real clue how to fix this.  It might be an idea if we
provide both (i386 and amd64) initial tarballs in one source tarball
and let the rules file detect which one to use depending from the
architecture the package is builded on.

[KSB] Our upstream distribution builds both 32- and 64-bit (x86) executables from the same source tarball.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

What do you think?  Perhaps discussing this issue on a more general
list than Debian Med makes sense.

Kind regards from Banja Luka (just arrived)

     Andreas