Re: Fwd: Re: fis-gtm

Title: Re: Fwd: Re: fis-gtm

On 07/22/2011 01:38 PM, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:

Hi Baskar,

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:

> It looks like my e-mails to the group are still not getting through
> debian-med.

at least I can see some email from you and Laurent in the archive of the
list ..

[KSB] Let's see if this one goes through.  Also, I know that Laurent has had trouble sending you e-mail directly.

>           For normal usage, GT.M does not need a special user or
> group.

do you know what other people choose if they install GT.M?

[KSB] I am not sure what you mean by "what other people choose".  Think of GT.M as a program such as LibreOffice.  You don't need a userid for LibreOffice - I just use it with my normal user id.  If I want to create a document to jointly edit with my group, I can create it with group read-write permissions and no world access.

GT.M works the same way - there is no daemon, as there is with other databases.  Processes run as normal users and groups and are able to access databases if and only if the file ownership and permissions allow them to do so.  More discussion in the GT.M Security Philosophy and Implementation technical bulletin (http://tinco.pair.com/bhaskar/gtm/doc/articles/GTM_Security_Philosophy.html).

So, there is no special GT.M user.  Period.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

    Thorsten

--
GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.