Subject: Re: fis-gtm
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 19:21:34 -0400
From: Laurent Parenteau <laurent.parenteau@fisglobal.com>
To: debian-med@lists.debian.org
CC: Thorsten Alteholz <debian-med@alteholz.de>

Hi Thorsten,

Bhaskar, please, correct me where (if) I'm wrong.

On 07/21/11 15:53, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
Hi Bhaskar,

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:
I manage the upstream FIS GT.M project.

good to have you here on the list, so I can pelt you with questions :-).

                                         One of our developers, Laurent Parenteau (a member of Debian Med) has volunteered to help create Debian packages for fis-gtm.  He (and I) will be glad to work with you in this effort.

Great, did you already have a look at the repository? From a developer point of view, would you create the package in a similar way?
I think it would be better if the packages would have the version number in the name, and maybe have fis-gtm depend on the latest release.  This way, one could install multiple different versions of GT.M if needed.

After building the debug version of fis-gtm, I got some hints from lintian about spelling errors. Maybe you can have a look at them:
 spelling-error-in-binary:
  dbcertify preceeding preceding
  dse accomodate accommodate
  dse preceeding preceding
  gtcm_gnp_server preceeding preceding
  gtcm_pkdisp preceeding preceding
  gtcm_play preceeding preceding
  gtcm_server preceeding preceding
  gtcm_shmclean preceeding preceding
  gtmsecshr preceeding preceding
  libgtmshr.so preceeding preceding
  lke preceeding preceding
  mupip Incompatable Incompatible
  mupip preceeding preceding
  plugin/gtmcrypt/gtmcrypt_pk_ref.o utilites utilities
Thanks for the tips, we will have a look at them.

As you might know there are lots of architectures that are supported by
Debian. Unfortunately you only provide initial software for amd64 and i386.
Would it be possible to use any MUMPS compiler to create this minimal system?
Especially would it be possible to use the compiler available at
  http://math-cs.cns.uni.edu/~okane/mumps.html
I don't think this had been tried.  Since someone else (Alan O'Neill) was able to use Python script instead of the MUMPS code in the build process, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to do the same thing with another MUMPS compiler.
Do you have some documentation on how to build this initial software?
I think the best documentation about that is the makefile itself, and the M files used by the makefile.

In case I have the initial software build from lets say version 5.4.002A.
Would it be possible to build a future version 7.9.001 with that software or do I need to build the initial software from the same version?
There's no such requirement.  You can use an older version to build a newer one.

Laurent

Thorsten