Re: [debian-med] Install on ubuntu 10.04.2 or debian 6

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:29:55AM +0100, Tony Travis wrote:
> If Debian was perfect, none of its derivatives would exist.

I perfectly share this opinion (and I think it is recorded in the
derivatives roundtable of DebConf 2005 video record).  While there was
the opinion issued that Debian is good because it has the highest number
of derivatives I rather think that it is the distribution where people
feel the highest number of problems they can not fix internally (to be
honest: I just did some polemic here and the argument was not totally
honest).

> However, I
> think you are wrong to consider Ubuntu as 'just' another Linux distro.

With my comparison to Fedora and OpenSuSE I just tried to make the
arguing of "peoples front of Judea" void.  I try to support any Linux
distro and I admit it is significantly easier to support Ubuntu when
using Debian packages as basis.

> IMHO, Ubuntu and Debian have a symbiotic relationship. As I said before
> Ubuntu is nothing without Debian and I believe that Debian does benefit
> from Ubuntu too. I think Steffen is right to use the PPA and I support
> his efforts.

I do not question the PPA effort and everything which is actually done.
However, I do not like to claim things I can not guarantee.  For
instance (if I understood things right) the push for migration to new
versions like Gcc 4.6 and Python 2.7 are coming from Ubuntu (or at least
the people who are filing the relevant bugs are Ubuntu employees).
However, for instance regarding Python migration we do not really good
support this intend (see several Important but unfixed and even
uncommented bugs for the mgltools-* at [1] and also the comment
regarding #625162[2] was not in the line with the request of someone
working for Ubuntu on the gcc transition).

What I want to say is the following: Moving some packages to PPA is
sometimes cheap - it's probably just another build and upload process
which does not take much time (usually).  But *support* is more than
this and for my (probably quite strict) measure we do not so much for
it that it is rectified that we make much noise about it.

[1] http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=debian-med-packaging@lists.alioth.debian.org
[2] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2011-May/009874.html