Re: [debian-med] Install on ubuntu 10.04.2 or debian 6

On 12/05/11 07:38, Andreas Tille wrote:
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:58:42PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
Debian Med was *before* Ubuntu even existed

and that is why it has its name.

Well, I hope that my statement were not interpreted as contra Ubuntu
statement.

and thus it was at least not possible to target at supporting Ubuntu.

The people's front of Judea?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE
[...]

Hi, Andreas.

I offered you my opinion that Ubuntu *is* Debian when we met at the Debian-Med sprint in Travemunde. Where it differs most is in the way that the Ubuntu community is organised and, in particular, the PPA.

I'm an advocate of Debian *and* Debian derivatives like Ubuntu. Many people like me and Steffen actually use Ubuntu for pragmatic reasons. If Debian was perfect, none of its derivatives would exist. However, I think you are wrong to consider Ubuntu as 'just' another Linux distro.

IMHO, Ubuntu and Debian have a symbiotic relationship. As I said before Ubuntu is nothing without Debian and I believe that Debian does benefit from Ubuntu too. I think Steffen is right to use the PPA and I support his efforts.

Bye,

  Tony.