Debian Maintainer application vs DebianMed

How does it work with DebianMed when applying for being Debian Maintainer ?
Packages are uploaded with the maintainer id "Debian Med Packaging Team".

Once we are an official Debian Maintainer, how can we manage updates on DebianMed packages as our id doest not appear as a maintainer. Is a special tag added somewhere ? Is it possible to become a maintainer of a package we were not first uploaders?

Thanks for the info.

Olivier