Re: ensembl_57-7_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into experimental

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 12:38:41PM +0300, George Marselis wrote:
> Right now, the apartment is flooded with water from the fire
> extinguish valve and there is no electricity. it will take me an hour
> to go to the kaust coffee shop and set up my laptop from there

Good luck. :-)

> >  - ssaha
> >   It is just ITPed by Charles:
> >    http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/bio#ssaha
> >   Charles, any news about this package?  The record in our tasks
> >   file says, that the source is not available.
> >   George, do you have some clue how to get the source?  This would
> >   definitely help us packaging it ...
>
> there does not seem to be any source here :
> ftp://ftp.sanger.ac.uk/pub4/resources/software/ssaha2/
>
> so I think I will have to write to sanger and ask them politely. we
> got some sanger and ebi people over here at KAUST, let me see if they
> are willing to help.

It would definitely interesting to have the source of ssaha2.  Please
go on asking them and report here.

> The description is not accurate. The packaging status on the wiki is
> listed as "ongoing", because of the excitement of the moment: me and
> my friend were all excited about something we could do: list all the
> available tools used in bioinformatics.

Did you ever had a look at

   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/bio  ???

> the idea took off from there: we discussed the possibility of
> examining each tool; see if source code is available. if there was, we
> were talking about checking to see the quality of the code and see if
> there is a configure script. the aim was to aid the end-user, to
> easily install a tool. then, we thought about writing the list and
> handling the end results to debian-medical.

It is great if you want to help - but at first please check what is
there.  I somehow have the feeling that you underestimate drastically
qhat is there yet.

> my relationship to debian-med? I am just a simple sysadmin, frustrated
> with {(my perceived), the} lack of disarray. I would like to be a
> debian-med packager. I offered to package mira 7-8 months ago, but my
> inexperience stood in front of me.

The mira issue was answered by Steffen.

> what happened with this list was a vent of my frustration out of my
> lack of knowledge in the bioinformatics world: i can name you 10
> window managers, but i only know 5-6 bioinformatics tools. I have also
> googled for a "list of bioiformatics tools" but I have not come up
> with satisfactory answers.

I'd be interested what exactly your Google query was and whether we
might approach that you get the page I mentioned above as first hit.
BTW, there are *a* *lot* lists of such software in the net.  We try to
distinguish from those other lists by having those packages ready to
install instead of having a simple list.

In any case before starting to package a biological software you should
verify whether it is on this list and in what status it is.  If
packaging might not be completed it might be in SVN in some intermediate
state.

> we == my friend from irc, and myself. the number of tools my friend
> from irc and myself know
>
> ok, let me go to the caffee and set up shop.

Make sure you order a "coffee long" if you want to enjoy it while
reading the list of packaged software.