Re: ensembl_57-7_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into experimental

On 1 Apr 2011, at 11:07, Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 12:38:41PM +0300, George Marselis wrote:
>> Right now, the apartment is flooded with water from the fire
>> extinguish valve and there is no electricity. it will take me an hour
>> to go to the kaust coffee shop and set up my laptop from there
>
> Good luck. :-)
>
>>>  - ssaha
>>>   It is just ITPed by Charles:
>>>    http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/bio#ssaha
>>>   Charles, any news about this package?  The record in our tasks
>>>   file says, that the source is not available.
>>>   George, do you have some clue how to get the source?  This would
>>>   definitely help us packaging it ...
>>
>> there does not seem to be any source here :
>> ftp://ftp.sanger.ac.uk/pub4/resources/software/ssaha2/
>>
>> so I think I will have to write to sanger and ask them politely. we
>> got some sanger and ebi people over here at KAUST, let me see if they
>> are willing to help.
>
> It would definitely interesting to have the source of ssaha2.  Please
> go on asking them and report here.

Sadly SSAHA2 uses crossmatch, which is non-free, meaning SSAHA2 is not appropriate for debian-med. I can get you the source for ssaha, but it's so old now that I doubt anyone would still want to use it. The latest tool from the same group is called SMALT - this is probably worth perusing. I believe that it uses the same k-mer index table algorithm as SSAHA (and BLAT); i.e. is a different algorithm to the Burrows-Wheeler tools that are so popular in the short-read world.

http://www.sanger.ac.uk/resources/software/smalt/

Will