Re: MediSnap - GPLv3 medical photo system - just released

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 04:33:05PM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > for now i added these steps into the INSTALL,
>
> That's fine.

ACK.

> > i'll create some kind of
> > setup script when i know what will be placed where within debian
> > (probably the properties-Files should go into /etc/medisnap, and so on,
> > i'm sure there'll be some more changes to come)
>
> I see. Yeah, that's fine.

ACK.

> > For now I removed the postgresql and hsql libraries from the release and
> > i found that with 'aptitude install libpg-java' the needed postgresql
> > java driver is easily available. Added this to the INSTALL as well.
>
> Great !

In fact really great.  Having extra libraries in a package which are
existant in Debian always causes problems.  We actually prefer to just
use the Debian packaged version.  So it is good news if you stripped
unneeded stuff from the tarball (if I understood you correctly).

> > What I don't know is what I should do with the proprietary parts from
> > Olympus. The whole Development-Package is definitely not for
> > redistribution. Anyway some 'parts' of it are free for redistribution
> > (they say the ones that are need to run it, but  not the ones needed to
> > compile it .. ).
>
> That is usually solved by creating a secondary package
>
> 	medisnap-lib-nonfree
>
> or something similar.

Can you please be a bit more verbose about this non-free stuff.  For
instance:

  1) Is it possible to use MediSnap without these non-free additions
     (even if the functionality is reduced)?
  2) What exactly is this non-free stuff and where can it be downloaded?
  3) Is it binary only or is there also the source code?

> > If you want take a look at it here: http://developer.olympus.com/
> > .. Anyway, those are not of interest for debian and thus i'll care about
> > this later.
>
> In that case the Debian package can simply omit them (They
> are not because they are Windows only, right ?).

Does this mean we can/need leave out the non-free part because it will
not run on Linux anyway?  This would answer all questions above in one
rush and would simplify things from a packagers perspective.

> > I'll be on the road for two days (sunday and monday), so don't worry if
> > I won't respond that quickly ;)
>
> Take your time !

Yep. :-)