Re: MediSnap - GPLv3 medical photo system - just released

On 01/21/2011 11:34 AM, Jan Kechel wrote:

Karsten Hilbert wrote:
 >> [KSB] Let me ask another question in response. If there are several
 >> practices sharing a server for their patient electronic health records,
 >> but isolated from each other (different userids, different groups,
 >> different directories), would they install MediSnap separately for each
 >> practice or would MediSnap be installed once on the system with each
 >> practice creating its own image database?
 >
 > If I correctly understand MediSnap it does not use a database to
 > store the images - those are stored in the filesystem and MediSnap
 > is configured to point to that location. Thus it fully depends on
 > the configuration (what about concurrent access ?).

Yes, that's correct. Only metadata is stored to the database. The images
are kept as they were provided and will never be changed, so there won't
be any concurrency problems ;)
All medisnap does is create derivative images e.g. thumbnails for
quicker access/preview over the network as digicam pictures are mostly
quite large.

[KSB2] Yes, but that only pushes my question back one level! If different practices are sharing a server but isolated from each other, would they share a common metadata database. The picture at http://medisnap.sourceforge.net/installation.html shows one common database. Is a typical installation one that would make Practice A aware that Patient P is also seen by Practice B?

Regards
-- Bhaskar

--
GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.