Re: Correction to web site information: OpenMRS has debian packages available for download

Hi Misha,

I hope you don't mind if I quote you in public but I think there are
some issues which might interest other people here.  It is perfectly
OK if you post your questions to the list in the future.  They are
on topic there.

At first I'm happy that you made some progress!

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:44:27AM -0500, Misha Koshelev wrote:
> Hi Andreas:
>
> Thanks for your detailed email.
>
> Sorry I didn't respond for a bit... but I did the issue with the ant
> builds fixed upstream:
> http://tickets.openmrs.org/browse/TRUNK-1759

Great!

> Also I wrote a little script for Ben Wolfe (one of our core maintainers)
> to upload tarballs to Sourceforge.

Great as well.

> Unfortunately, it won't get fixed in the release until 1.6.2 is out,
> which is not currently the case.

This does not really matter IMHO because it is no real blocker for
the moment.

> Anyway, I can use quilt to get the patch. I've also set up a Debian
> Squeeze system with pbuilder (barebones) in VMWare with which I am
> happy.

I'm happy that you finally solved this issue.

> I am at the moment a little confused about the get-orig-source target.
>
> I noticed I can run it via:
> debian/rules get-orig-source
>
> Is this supposed to get run automatically somehow? I noticed
> dpkg-buildpackage does _not_ run it.

Yes, that's normal.  It is described in Developers Reference[1] and just
a convention which comes handy if you are working in a team and
everybody uses this.  The script is also used by uscan in the
debian/watch control file.  However, dpkg-buildpackage just expects a
ready prepared orig.tar.gz tarball.

> In any case, no biggie. I will make a minor change so that the patches
> which are going into 1.6.2 are applied via quilt and then commit to SVN
> repo.

Great.

> What, if anything, do I need to do next? I will try to build the package
> using pbuilder, and then what? Do I upload it somewhere?

Just tell us here on list.  Some Debian developer (probably me) will
have a close look and try to rebuild the packages and test on his
machine.  In case everything is fine he will upload the package as so
called sponsor.  You are not allowed to upload to the Debian mirror as
long as your GPG key is not in the keyring of Debian Developers or
Debian Maintainers.

> Any help appreciated?

Hope this helps