Re: Correction to web site information: OpenMRS has debian packages available for download

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 14:32 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 07:29:28PM -0700, misha680 a écrit :
> >
> > In fact, I wanted to point out that, to my understanding, each build of
> > OpenMRS in fact comes with functional deb packages.
> >
> > Please see:
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/openmrsdev/files/releases/OpenMRS_1.6.1/
> > and, for example,
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/openmrsdev/files/releases/OpenMRS_1.6.1/openmrs-1.6.1.deb/download
> >
> > Thank you for your time. I hope that OpenMRS can indeed be included in the
> > next release of Debian Med.
>
> Dear Misha,
>
> thank you for your notification. I just commited a change that I hope will make
> the information be displayed next time the page is rebuilt.
>
> You are very welcome to help us to bring OpenMRS in Debian Med. For this, we
> need a source package, because we only distribute software that can be
> rebuilt completely on a Debian system.
>
> You can look at pacages like netty for an example on how to build Debian source
> packages from a SubVersion checkout.
>
> http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-eucalyptus/netty/trunk/debian/
>
> Have a nice day,

Thank you again for the information.

1)
It turns out we already have some deb packaging scripts:
http://svn.openmrs.org/openmrs-contrib/install/packagemanagers/deb/

2)
I am looking into packaging OpenMRS for Debian Med, but first realize I
have to _install_ Debian Med.

I have read here:
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed
http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/index.en.html

but did not actually find a quick guide as to how to _install_ debian
med (my main distro is Ubuntu 10.04).

Finally, I just decided to install Debian 5 and then install the
debian-med? package.

However, there does not seem to be such a single package:
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=med&searchon=names&suite=stable&section=all
any help appreciated. I am sure new users would benefit as well.

3)
I noticed your packages are also provided in Ubuntu:
https://launchpad.net/~debian-med-packaging/+related-software
is this done by
a) Debian Med team manually?
b) Debian Med team automatically?
c) someone else entirely?
In other words, would creating a Debian med package also result in a
corresponding Ubuntu package, or would this be a separate process?

4)
A quickly philosophy question with packaging implications.

OpenMRS, to my knowledge, works best with the Sun JDK (there is not a
good link for this currently - best is
http://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Step+by+Step+Installation+for
+Developers
but does not mention Sun explicitly).

I found sun-java6 packages for Debian.

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sun-java6&searchon=names&suite=stable&section=all

I noticed they are labeled non-free.

My understanding of Debian was always (perhaps incorrectly) that Debian
believes in being a completely open-source system (vs, e.g., Ubuntu)

Would making OpenMRS depend on non-free packages be unacceptable?

Thank you
Misha